Administrative assistants provide general office support for a variety of administrative tasks that may include: answering incoming calls, making travel and meeting arrangements, preparing reports, maintaining filing systems, managing supplies and making sure company operations run smoothly.
Administrative assistants should have good communication skills, organizational skills, excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks.
Communication: you should act confidently when it comes to exchanging information with employees of various seniority levels.
Organization: you should be able to organize papers and data as well as analyze information and projects the way they can be presented as achievable goals.
Time management: you should know how to manage the time devoted for each task, as well as how to prioritize projects. This position is often confused with executive assistants, who provide highly specialized support to a smaller group of executives. Candidates with experience work in an office settings have more chances to succeed in the role of an Executive Assistant.
Administrative assistant job description generally includes some of the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Greeting and directing companies visitors,
- Answering and directing companies phone calls,
- Being a point of contact for companies clients and staff,
- Researching and booking travel arrangements for staff members,
- Preparing documents for meetings and business trips, assist in the preparation of regularly reports,
- Processing and directing mail and incoming packages in deliveries,
- Writing and issue in emails to teams and departments on behalf of teams and senior staff,
- Work on ways to improve administrative processes,
- Scheduling meetings and appointments,
- Taking notes and minutes in meetings,
- Ordering then taking stock of like this supplies,
This job doesn't typically requires a college degree, however, there are courses and certificates for students that do not wish to study a full degree such as a certificate in buinsess administration.
Additionally, knowledge of certain programs will help landing the job. Proficiency in Microsoft Office with exceptional knowledge of Word Excel and PowerPoint. Working knowledge of office equipment like printers and fax machines, working knowledge of G-suite (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides) email and calendar scheduling tools like Outlook, Google Calendar, to-do lists and project management software like Todoist and Trello.
Administrative assistants work in various industries and take on a wide range of tasks.