Ideal Experience and Qualifications:
- B Degree & LLB, an admitted Attorney in good standing; a postgraduate management & leadership qualification e.g. MBA/MBL would be an added advantage.
Minimum work experience:
- Min 7 to 10 years’ experience post admission as an Attorney and a sound track record in the financial services industry o 5 to 7 years’ experience in a broad range of commercial transactions typically concluded in a financing environment o Sound experience in Project Finance o Experience in Project Contracts o 4 to 5 years Leadership and Management experience of a professional legal team; o Experience in engaging, managing and negotiating with relevant stakeholders including but not limited to professional associations/bodies, government institutions, regulators, service providers etc. o Experience of similar work within the SOE/Development Finance environment will be an added advantage
- Ability to prioritise conflicting demands and work within tight deadlines
- Ability to grasp complex areas of the law rapidly and accurately
- Ability to work across all cross-functional teams in order to implement legal risk mitigates in a rapidly changing environment driven by service, market, legal, regulatory, process and product changes.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, maturity, and good judgment. Must be capable of communicating with a diverse range of individuals.
- Detail-oriented, with hands-on, roll-up sleeves approach to directing and assisting team.
- Special Requirement: As our entity (CLIENT) provides financing and funding, the need to ensure Trust, Honesty and Integrity in all financial and non-financial activities must be above reproach. Uphold CLIENT’s key values being Partnership, Passion and Professionalism.
- To assist the Head, formulate and ensure the achievement of the Legal Services Department’s strategy in line with the corporate strategy;
- Manage a team of legal specialists responsible for providing legal services
- Provide sound, clear and accurate legal advice in order to minimize the legal risks that the CLIENT is exposed to in its daily activities
- To provide leadership and ensure efficient and effective management of staff and resources in the legal Services Department
- To assist the Head, formulate and ensure the achievement of the Legal Services Business Plan;
- To assist the Head co-ordinate, the Corporation’s dealings with external law firms and ensure that the Corporation benefits from cost-effective legal advice and work;
- To facilitate the provision of authoritative legal advice to the Corporation, Value Chains, Business Units and Departments on a range of general commercial issues;
- To participate in negotiations of transactions;
- To assist in facilitating the drafting and review of contracts and other legal documentation (including legal policies, standard terms, agreements and templates) and to develop standard form legal documentation where possible; To ensure that changes in the law and in regulations that affect the Corporation are identified, and to advise on appropriate action;
- To drive a culture of high performance and facilitate skills and knowledge transfer between staff within the Department;
- To assist the Head in overall strategic leadership, management and quality control of the Department;
- To ensure a focused and directed customer centric service by providing legal services that are proactive, appropriate, effective and efficient so as to facilitate achievement of the Corporation’s outcomes;
- To assist the Head in managing internal stakeholders (i.e. Strategic Business Units, Service Departments)