This is a senior level appointment, therefore a minimum of 10 years’ experience at a senior Engineering / Production Manager level is non-negotiable. An ideal candidate for this position will have plant leadership experience and sound manufacturing experience and knowledge of steel making process, pattern making, methods and/or expertise including machining, foundry, casting, moulding in a heavy manufacturing environment.
You will be required to direct and manage all plant operations with the overall responsibility for safe and compliant production, maintenance, quality, and other production-related activities. Ensure that the products are meeting company objectives relating to safety, productivity, quality, and cost and are the accountable leader protecting the customer and the company’s brand-promise.
Minimum Qualification / Education Needed:
- Diploma/Higher Diploma or Degree in Physical Metallurgy OR BSc Mechanical or Chemical Engineering.
- Advanced degree in business would be an advantage
- Member of the South African Institute of Mechanical, Chemical, Engineers , Foundrymen
Minimum Experience needed to perform this job:
- 10 years + heavy manufacturing experience leading a Production team
- Significant leadership experience in a manufacturing facility (5 years +)
- Sound manufacturing experience and knowledge of steel making process, pattern making, methods and/or expertise including machining, foundry, casting, moulding.
- Experience in a unionized manufacturing plant
- Experience in use of continuous improvement methodologies –Lean and Six Sigma tools
- Proven track record on improving plant and team performance
- Computer literate, Microsoft Word, Excel, production-based software.
Attributes, skills and experience necessary for the Job:
- Able to manage competing priorities and effectively commit his/her time and that of others according to production deadlines and more
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to speak with employees, other department managers and senior management; ability to motivate staff to meet the production goals
- Strong analytic problem-solving skills: ability to identify and analyse problems, their causes and practical solutions in line with objectives
- Proven ability to drive change in complex manufacturing environments
- Quality management system experience producing to ISO
- Financial acumen to account for facility profit and loss, budgeting, and capital expenditures as a good steward of financial resources
- Strong customer orientation: ability to build and maintain the contacts necessary for the future development of the business
- Strong Lean and continuous improvement skills