POSITION: GROUP FINANCIAL ACCOUNTANT
- 1. Description of Position
To take full control of the financial accounting function of the Verso Group of Companies (14 active). You will report to the Group Financial Director.
This is the ideal role for a pragmatic, proactive and energetic Group Financial Accountant with superior technical ability gained in the Financial Services industry.
- 2. Main activities
a) Financial accounting functions, including but not limited to -
- Work closely with management to assist with the development of the annual budget to maintain accurate and timely submission of strategic plans.
- Responsible for the effective preparation, maintenance, and reporting of internal and external financial records and business analyses, including monthly management accounts reporting -
- To collect, process and record financial information to support management with accurate financial information to assist in their decision-making processes and to contribute to the correct reporting of financial information in an acceptable format;
- To populate and/or review journals, perform and/or review accounts receivable/accounts payable/general ledger accounts/reconciliations and liaise with all relevant stakeholders to ensure accurate and complete accounting records from source documentation through to Financial Statements;
- To review monthly invoicing to ensure completeness and accuracy of fee income and allocation of commission income;
- To calculate and journal the monthly reconciliation of all commission received per consultant/planner and, where applicable, per client;
- To reconcile quarterly administration and consulting income to administration system calculations;
- To manage the month-end process by processing all necessary journals (including but not limited to – Payroll, VAT, audit journals, prepayments etc.) in a timeous manner;
- To support the finance department through liaising with other departments, divisions and companies within the group to ensure the accuracy of financial information and intercompany charges;
- Monthly Payroll - providing information to the parties involved (Medical Aid, Group Life, Paymaster etc), reviewing of the payroll reports, reconciliations of GL accounts to reports;
- Monthly review of fixed assets allocated (acquired, disposed of) and managing the fixed assets audit.
- This position will include processing on Accpac.
b) Treasury functions, including but not limited to –
- Cash flow analysis and forecasts,
- Managing all cashbooks, all call/fixed deposits with 3 different banks for all companies within the group,
- Maintain relationships with major banks to ensure excellent service delivery as well as to identify new financial products that could assist the business in terms of risk management and profitability,
- Management of intercompany funding, including compiling intercompany loan agreements and performing Solvency & Liquidity tests when financial support is provided,
- Monitor access controls (online banking) and signatory requirements for bank accounts across the group.
c) Taxation functions for the group, including but not limited to –
- Review, file and pay corporate tax returns,
- Estimate provisional tax and file and pay provisional tax returns,
- Respond to direct and indirect tax queries from SARS,
- Calculation and completion of monthly VAT returns and review of Statement of Account,
- Monthly EMP returns and review of Statement of Account,
- Dividends Tax returns completion as and when required,
- Assist in tax planning structures.
d) To ensure that, across the group of companies, the financial systems, controls, policies and procedures are sound and conform with IFRS, King IV, relevant legislative requirements i.e. Companies Act, Income Tax Act, FSB/FAIS and Board requirements, including -
- To update standard office manuals/procedures relating to their accounting functions to assist with transparency and succession.
e) Ensuring that audits and reports are undertaken as necessary and conform as they should to regulatory and statutory bodies requirements. Act as main liaison with External Auditors and manage the annual financial statements for the Verso Group of Companies.
f) Compiling the financial groundwork on special projects and new businesses.
g) Managing of company secretarial duties, including compiling resolutions in line with relative legislation, including –
- CIPC requirements such as Annual Returns – processing on CIPC and allocate payment.
h) Compliance functions including regulatory reports regarding financial soundness.
i) Managing the financial department (staff) and the day to day financial function of the Verso Group of Companies, including daily review of financial accounting, investigating complex financial accounting, authorization of all payments, monthly payroll review and sign off, etc.
j) Other ad hoc duties assigned by the Group Financial Director.
- 3. Qualifications
SAIPA with three years Group Financial accounting experience (post articles) with medium to large company exposure.
- 4. SKILLS REQUIRED
- Sound knowledge of Accounting Standards and Practices.
- Strong business strategy skills and a good communicator (writing & speaking).
- Commitment to work hard towards goals with enthusiasm and motivation.
- Strong problem-solving skills, combined with specialist knowledge.
- High degree of creativity and innovation, action-orientation, proactive and strategic awareness.
- Organised and assertive.
- Articulate presentation and professionalism.
- Client service orientated.
- Attention to detail/accuracy.
- Must be able to work independently and under pressure.
- Strong work ethic.
- Proven staff management record.
- 5. TECHNOLOGY
Extensive practical experience on Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel (Advanced), PowerPoint),
Accpac (intermediate) and
Caseware including Bizsuite (intermediate).
- 6. WORKING EXPERIENCE
3 years relevant post-article accounting management experience with companies; & Contactable references.
- 7. REMUNERATION
A total cost to company market related salary structure including benefits are offered