- Diploma in Chemical Engineering or Environmental Management or Safety Management or Analytical Chemistry or any Engineering discipline
- Must have chemical background
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience of which 5 years must be at operational level as a QHSE Officer in a chemical plant
- SAMTRAC or Risk Management qualification, or International General Certificate (IGC) in health and safety, hazard identification and risk assessment or incident investigation
- Responsible care knowledge
- Sound working knowledge of Global Harmonized System
- Labelling of chemicals would be advantageous.
- Computer literate, Microsoft packages including word, excel, PowerPoint and good presentation skills.
- Be able to handle pressure during audits, incidents and government inspections.
- Sound working knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act and its regulations and environmental legislation.
- Drive health, safety and environment at operational level and know how to ensure a health and safety working environment.
- Conduct on going workplace monitoring with the purpose that the workplace provides a healthy and safe environment for employees.
- Ensure that the site complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations including the NEMA ACT especially Air Quality Act at all times
- Improve working conditions throughout the site
- Participate in HSE internal certifications and global company customer’s audits including government inspections (Department of Labour) and other departments (DAFF, GDARD etc).
- Be instrumental in effective closing of any audit finding relating to HSE
- Lead incident investigation of minor incidents and “high risk near misses” and participate in all lost time injury incidents and significant Loss of Primary Content (LoPC) incidents.
- Be hands on in ensuring that all corrective actions of incidents are completed within the required time frames.
- Coordinate and lead contractor management on site by ensuring that all contractors comply with the minimum requirements of the Construction Regulations Act.
- Ensure that all bylaw permits are up to date and the limits are adhered to for the hazardous waste incinerator