Senior Java Developers x 4 posts, Somerset West, Cape Town, Western Cape
Our client is a State Owned Entity (SOE) focusing on IT solutions for its large sister company. Four (4) vacancies of Senior Java Developer have arisen at their head office at Somerset West, Western Cape.
These will be permanent appointments.
To develop functionality for a JEE (J2EE) based product. The backend is a service oriented Spring based application. It provides a service layer for different user channels ranging from web, rich clients and batch users integrating via JMS and web services. The work contains a portion of support and refactoring of existing code as well as new development (extend it for new functionality) and add extra integration points.
- Support existing and develop new functionality and components.
- Understand existing product and domain elements and work with business analysts to refine and implement new requirements.
- Refactor and improve the code to keep the product maintainable and adaptable to new requirements.
- Evaluate and improve application performance, and high availability features.
- Create unit and integrated system tests to show that the developed functionality works as intended.
- Create technical documentation that explains how the various components of the system work and how to use them.
- Do root cause analysis on bugs to find and fix the cause of a problem in an integrated system.
- Build and deploy the system on an application server.
- Create and execute functional test scenarios (dev testing).
- Work effectively in a team environment, actively collaborating to improve software development processes and standards.
- Relevant tertiary qualification in Information Technology or Computer/Engineering Sciences.
- A strong knowledge of Java is essential.
- 2-3 years relevant experience as a senior back-end developer in a multi-tiered Java application development.
- Ability to work in a team environment and collaborate on a common (UML) design model.
- A thorough understanding of SDLC processes, tools and techniques.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Experience with team development tools: Use of source control applications (preferably GIT); Use of a UML tool for documentation.
- Experience of the following technologies:
- JEE (J2EE) server side technologies, SOAP and Services
- Spring framework (preferable)
- JPA /Hibernate
- Experience with an application server (IBM Websphere - preferable)
- Integration experience (Web/RESTful services, JMS)
- JAXB and XML Schema
- SQL and experience with a relational database (i.e. Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, DB2)
- Ability to deliver production quality software by e.g. paying attention to detail, do extensive unit testing and support quality testing phases.
- Knowledge and experience of the following would be a plus:
- Business process/workflow layers e.g. JBPM, BPEL (Activiti)
- Rules engines (i.e. Drools)
- Design patterns (Object Oriented, SOLID, GRASP)
- Continuous integration tools (i.e. Jenkins, Bamboo, Docker)
- Self-starter, self-motivated, team player
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
A very competitive package will be negotiated with the successful candidate. Benefits include: Retirement annuity, Group Life and Income Protection, Medical Aid, 24 Days Annual Leave, Office shut down in December between Christmas and New Years Day.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your CV to Colin Khomeliwa, by 16:00 hrs on Monday 21 September 2020. The job title must appear in the subject line of the e-mail.
Dialogue will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates.