About the Role:
- Create and implement comprehensive conceptual logical and physical data models.
- Perform detailed data analysis to develop the data warehouse’s / BI solution’s data model.
- Participate in the business requirements definition activities in a secondary role, for which a good understanding of business rules is essential.
- Review models designed by other DBA’s and related the activities of other modelling efforts to the model under review.
- Model and understand the overall business architecture.
- Translate this business architecture to a conceptual data model.
- Structure of the enterprise data model so that it aligns with and enables the operational and analytics capabilities.
- This person must be able to market or sell the EDM to obtain buy-in and support from all levels within the organisation.
- Knowledge about existing corporate data models, as well as knowledge of the business, is extremely important.
- Strong conventional (normalised) data modelling skills are beneficial, as the Data Modeler often must be able to read and understand existing data models. However, the Data Modeler should be able to break away from traditional OLTP and E/R design practices and embrace the new data warehouse design techniques such as Dimensional models, multi-dimensional models, data vault models, big data models etc.
- Experience in other enterprise data modelling initiatives
- Understand the data requirements of front-end (reporting, dashboarding and analysis tools.)
- Ideally have data architecture experience
- Data warehouse design methodology training.
- Normalised and dimensional data modelling training.
- Must have worked with industry-standard data modelling tools.
- Strong experience working with a range of DBMS’s.
- Strong experience with SQL query and DBMS tuning.