An exciting opportunity for a go-getter with an excellent sense for news exists as a Digital News Editor . The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to be at the forefront of daily digital news gathering and production in South Africa. This is a dynamic position which needs someone with a passion for breaking news.
- Assign stories to the digital reporters and content administrators and check that they are delivering the news stories.
- Edit and rewrite reporters’ copy and also produce/write digital stories.
- Gather news by monitoring the wires and other media to ensure that topical stories are being picked up on.
- Generate story ideas.
- Check accuracy of articles by reporters and content administrators.
- Attend general news meetings and update news diary daily.
- Coordinate news flow by ensuring relevant stories discussed during the morning meeting are covered and uploaded according to deadlines.
- Ensure that news articles from the print and digital departments gets shared.
- Line edit stories in order to identify problems such as libel or inaccuracy and to ensure complete fairness.
- Liaise with photographic department to ensure visual elements of stories.
- Liaise with fellow editors, reporters, production desk, bureaus and senior editors.
- Mentor and train content administrators and interns in order to produce outstanding copy.
- Assist in hiring staff.
- Drive the social media strategy.
- An appropriate bachelor’s or higher degree in Journalism
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in mainstream journalism
- Suitable experience managing a news desk / team of reporters
- Good talent for writing and copy tasting abilities
- Advanced awareness of the media law and current trends
- Proven track record
- Excellent communication skills
- Good computer skills
- Excellent people management skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Good administrative skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- News awareness
- Deadline driven
- Team player
- Matric/Grade 12 qualification or SAQA Accredited Equivalent a must
- Valid driver’s licence a must
- Own vehicle a must
- Ability to work irregular hours
- Solid references
- No criminal record
Salary 23000 - 25000
To apply, please send your updated CV to email@example.com
Please be advised that you will be contacted by Digipath Digital Recruitment within 14 days should we wish to proceed with your application. Similarly, if you are not contacted by Digipath Digital Recruitment, please accept your application as unsuccessful. Your CV will automatically be added to our database and we could be contacting you should a suitable position arise.