Our client in the Education Industry is seeking to appoint a dynamic Junior Language Editor to join their team in Centurion.
- Read through texts (both hard and soft copies) for spelling, punctuation, terminology or grammatical errors.
- Factual editing.
- Ensure that texts comply with the company’s style guide.
- Ensure that Afrikaans and English texts correspond.
- Rewrite text when necessary.
- Ensure that templates are adhered to.
- Liaise with authors/subject matter experts to ensure quality of content.
- Edit context.
- Edit images (check quality, translate).
- Translate texts from Afrikaans to English.
- Translate texts from English to Afrikaans.
- Edit texts while translating.
- Ensure Afrikaans and English texts correspond.
- Ensure original meaning is not lost in translation.
- Ensure good language (1st language) is used when translating.
- Ensure consistency in terminology across products.
Proofreading: Same as editing, as well as:
- Proofread proof books.
- Compare Afrikaans and English layout to ensure that they correspond.
- Check layout to ensure templates are adhered to, including headers & footers, index, page numbers.
- Check images.
Adminsitration & management:
- Adhere to manager processes.
- Prioritise work to meet deadlines of assigned subjects.
- Liaise with ES, freelance editors and illustrators to ensure timely delivery of products and quality of content.
- Contribute to the company style guide.
- Support colleagues with workload.
- Be effective and positive when executing activities.
- Report to Team Leader daily to monitor progress.
Education & Requirements:
- Degree or Diploma in Languages, Translation, Journalism or Equivalent
- Post-graduate qualification in Languages, Translation, Journalism or Equivalent (would be an added advantage)
- 2 years experience
- Editing, proofreading, translations
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Internet Explorer or equivalent (Chrome, Firefox)
- Afrikaans (fluent)
- English (fluent)
- Flexibility to work longer hours, at home and over weekends when necessary to meet deadlines
- Research skills
- Attention to detail
- Wide general knowledge
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work in a team, as well as on your own
- Good communication skills
- Good planning, organisational and time management skills