The IT systems and support engineer diagnoses IT problems, monitors IT systems, installs software and performs tests on IT equipment and programs. He/she possesses a strong knowledge of computers and how they operate, which includes having a broad understanding of hardware and software, operating systems and basic computer programming. They are familiar with electronic equipment, Internet applications and security. Essential for this role is good communication skills as the position requires frequent interaction with clients.
- Matric Certificate
- Linux qualification (preferable)
- MCP, MCSE and MCITP (preferable)
- Networking qualifications
- Bachelor / Diploma Computer Science
- Minimum of 5 years in an IT support/technician role with specialisation in Linux environment
- Solid Linux experience ideally with CentOS and cPanel / WHM
- SonicWALL and Linux Firewall Management
- Kaspersky Antivirus
- Disaster Recovery
- Cloud Based email e.g. Google Suite, Office 365
- Virtual server creation and management Windows / Linux
- Hardware and software troubleshooting process. Ability to critically analyse a symptom, diagnose a fault, plan and take appropriate action on equipment including Servers, PCs, printers and networking.
- Knowledge of hardware components and hardware troubleshooting procedures
- Knowledge of Microsoft desktop operating systems and desktop software
- Sound knowledge of DNS, DHCP, SMTP, TCP/IP, HTTP/s, FTP and Email authentication methods
- Solid experience in setting up hosting of web sites on Linux and Windows servers.
- Solid experience in MySQL Database administration on Linux.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Deadline driven and able to work under pressure.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ensure day to day monitoring and performance of infrastructure components including servers, network, storage and other infrastructure components.
- To establish, negotiate and manage relationships and monitor SLA's with service providers.
- Ensure 100% uptime of the infrastructure.
- Ensure proactive preventive maintenance of Data centre, servers, network components and other infrastructure components.
- Plan and manage hardware replacement lifecycle.
- Manage and Support Windows Server Infrastructure
- Manage and Support Linux CentOS infrastructure
- Manage and support all email services.
- Manage and support remote access security and firewall management.
- Manage and support Database Servers.
- Manage Switches, VoIP telephony and CCTV systems.
- Support Virtual and physical Infrastructure for Servers and Desktops.
- Manage and Support redundancy and Disaster Recovery systems.
- Windows servers 2008, 2012, 2016
- Ensure monitoring and management of generator systems, UPS and alternate power systems.
- Ensure procedure documents and training material is up to date.
- Implementing new hardware, infrastructure components and technologies.
- Work with a change control policy on any changes
- Compile monthly reports for the IT manager.
- Execute Duties in accordance with ITIL framework guidelines
- Be available on standby for afterhours support when necessary.
- Effectively manage support calls by providing continual feedback, timeous resolution and follow-up calls subsequent to closure
- Make recommendations for improving processes