The main purpose of this position is to ensure that the employees in the company comply with health and safety laws and regulations. The incumbent will also be responsible for establishing policies that will create and maintain a safe workplace.
As a safety coordinator you must be able to discover opportunities for improving conditions and execute various safety programs and maintaining the Safety Management System. The ability to communicate guidelines to a multi-disciplinary workforce is essential.
The goal is to ensure the Operational Sites meet all legal expectations and actively supports the OHS act by:
- Developing and executing health and safety plans in the workplace according to legal guidelines from the OSH act and Rail Safety Regulator (RSR)
- Preparing and enforcing policies to establish a culture of health and safety
- Evaluating practices, procedures and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the SHE legal guidelines
Principle Responsibilities include:
- Develop and apply all health and safety regulations, laws, policies and procedures according to legal guidelines
- Evaluate operating practices and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the legal and other requirements
- Conduct training and presentations on health and safety matters and accident prevention
- Investigate accidents or incidents to discover root causes and make recommendations to mitigate
- Report on health and safety awareness, issues and statistics
- Evaluate the efficiency of controls and improve them continuously
- Revise procedures, reports, policies etc. periodically to identify hidden risks or non-conformity
- Review the work of colleagues as and when necessary to identify compliance issues and provide advice and or training
- Prepare reports for senior management and external regulatory bodies on a monthly basis and as and when required.
- Inspects the Operating Sites from time to time to identify safety, health, and environmental risks.
- Act as the Pandemic custodian of the company
- Organize, identify and complete permits pertaining to health and safety, such as Environmental permits, RSR Permits, and all other operating permits as required by the industry
- Application and maintenance of RSR Permits
- Attend external regulatory bodies’ audits for compliance purposes.
- Facilitate the application and maintenance of licenses
- Do regular internal inspections and audits to determine any opportunities for improvement, including, but not limited to, general inspections to test the internal SHE systems.
- Maintain personal training to ensure that knowledge and certifications are current
- Travel to multiple facilities to oversee health and safety operations
- Prepare SHE budgets
A Valid qualification in Occupational Health and Safety: Diploma/Degree in OSH; Samtrac or Equivalent
Desirable - Experience of ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 standards
At least 5 years’ experience in a SHE role with Line Management experience that Include:
- Risk Management,
- Site inspections and investigations,
- Company preparation for Audits,
- Compliance and maintenance of relevant standards,
- Risk Assessment experience,
- An in-depth understanding of and the ability to interpret SHE-related legislation, Company standards and programme requirements in order to pass on knowledge and requirements to others