The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology
research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate
socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial
development and supports a capable state.
Senior Transport Economist
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Senior Transport Economist in the Transport Systems and
Operations impact area within the Smart Mobility cluster. The position provides econometric
modelling support in transport research projects and programmes, with specific emphasis on
passenger and freight transport industry operations. This position is based in Pretoria.
- Lead the development of econometric models to support research projects and
- Develop and calibrate appropriate Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) models for the
- Develop responsive revenue-cost models for transport operations
- Develop appropriate models to assist with the internalisation of transport costs in policies
- Lead the systematic collection of comprehensive primary and secondary datasets for use in
transport policy development and monitoring programmes
- Support research work related to feasibility studies, lifecycle cost analysis, cash-flow models
and/or investment analyses
- Generate and publish original research work.
Qualifications, skills, and experience:
- A Masters’ degree or equivalent, in Transport Economics with at least ten years’
experience; in CGE Modelling, Pricing strategies, Market survey designs, Econometric
modelling, Transport Cost and Benefit Analyses and Travel demand management planning
- Doctoral degree or studying towards one will be advantageous.
- Knowledge of transport related legislation
- Computer literacy and experience in using standard software packages
- Must have working knowledge of transport economics domain software packages
- Be at a senior or principal level on the career ladder
- History of disseminating research outputs in the form of technical papers
- Communication skills (including oral, written, presentation and facilitation)
- Excellent report writing and analytical skills
- Effective communication and presentation skills
- Problem-solving skills and solution-seeking orientation
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- A driver’s license is essential.