Job Title: Library Services
Reporting lines: Academic Manager / Coordinator
OFO Number: Department: Academic
Position type: Intern
Number of Positions: 1 per region
Location of Posting: Port Elizabeth (x1); East London (x1)
Job Purpose: PMI is seeking applications for a highly motivated and service-oriented intern to join the team. This is an opportunity for an individual who is seeking experience in an academic setting, and who is looking for an opportunity to provide librarian service.
Responsibilities Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Operational Library Management
• Capture all physical assets into the system
• Catalogue and classify library materials
• Stock control of all resources (hard copy books; periodicals, articles, electronic books, electronic database, CD’s and other media).
• Help to enforce and implement security measures to avoid stock loss
• Assist in updating and maintaining asset register listing all physical and digital assets kept in the library.
• Assist in getting citation reports from external agencies
• Respond to queries in person, by telephone and online
• Working at the information desk, checking materials in and out, shelving books, etc.
• Develop reading list and other special projects as required
• Assist with planning and coordination of library outreach programs and special events
• Prepare posters to educate and inform students on how to access material in the system and from the shelves.
• Keep abreast of all programmes offered and the student numbers at all times. This will inform the running and acquisitions of the library in terms of meeting the needs of all students and staff members.
• Make sure that the library serves as information central and is housing the collective intelligence of the campus.
• Help to enforce policies pertaining to lending and make sure they are followed
• Be aware of student number projections in order to prepare orders for additional resources.
• Send communications regarding resource centre activities via the available platforms on campus
• Assist students and lecturers in the use of library resources and information technology
• Participate in developing acquisition policies and systems for library resources
• Help formulate and implement policies for service development
• Answer reference and information enquiries using appropriate materials
• Participate in planning activities connected to the implementation of the curriculum
• Participate in the preparation, implementation and evaluation of learning activities
• Over-sight of the PMI e-library from a regional perspective.
• Train learners on researching methodologies.
• All archiving across the region.
• Ad-hoc responsibilities as required by the region.
Academic Support Initiatives
• Organize and host in conjunction with Academic Manager /Programme Co-ordinators and other stakeholder’s series of student support workshops, these includes academic writing, plagiarism and research
Assessment Centre Management
• Physical Assessment Centre Management
o Maintain a log of all files and contents
o Restrict Access and manage and maintain movement logs
o Create and maintain a visitor log book
o Ensure the Assessment Centre is kept clean and hygienic – no food or drink / free of rodents and pests
• Filing within the Assessment Centre
o Create and maintain file and shelf numbering system in line with PMI QMS
o Oversee management of sticker system as per PMI QMS
o Ensure project numbering is maintained as per PMI QMS
o Ensure Learner files are maintained in line with PMI QMS and POPI Act in terms of privacy of information
o Ensure Quality Files are maintained in line with PMI QMS
Any of the following will apply;
• Bachelor of Information Science
• Diploma in Information Science
• Post-Graduate Diploma in Library and Information Science
• National Diploma in Library and Information Studies
• Bachelor of Library and Information Studies
• Bachelor of Library Science
• Prioritisation and allocation of resources
• Strong interpersonal and customer service
• Innovative ideas
• Planning and organising
• Appropriate judgement
• Attention to detail
• Decision Making
• Progress monitoring
• Planned development
• Organisational commitment
Languages required: English Proficiency
Appropriate MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)