Based anywhere in South Africa (working remotely), our client, an International Foundation, seeks to appoint a
SOUTH AFRICAN ENERGY AND CLIMATE PROGRAMME DIRECTOR
The Programme Director will work with partners in South Africa and beyond to support an energy transformation that secures a safe climate, clean air and a just transition in the context of South African society’s goals and aspirations.
The international foundation works with partners around the world to address the climate crisis. In Africa this requires a fundamental recognition of the social, developmental and environmental context and of climate justice. The general nature of the role is to identify and work with partners to co-develop strategy and to make grants, convene actors and initiatives and build forward-looking strategies, especially on grantmaking, based on robust facts and analysis.
The postholder for this role will care passionately about climate action and strengthening the capacities of African organisations to shape the way forward. They will have a strong knowledge of and deep interest in the energy sector and the policy environment of climate. They will value the grassroots, public campaigning, technical analysis, working with government, diplomacy and all sectors of the economy in equal measure. They will be a brilliant strategist and networker and have the instincts to be a responsible grantmaker and partner to our network.
The South Africa Energy and Climate Programme Director will be responsible for developing strategy and managing implementation of the programme in the region and working with international colleagues around the world.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
• General strategy and implementation: Developing and implementing strategy. Working with our present and future partners to identify a clear and powerful strategy in a complex and ever moving operating environment.
• Climate and energy strategy: In the topical space of climate and energy finding powerful and creative strategies towards the goals of a safe climate and a just transition. Drawing down international experience and connections where that is helpful but prioritising building up local leadership and capacities.
• Partnerships and Networking: The Programme Director will build and maintain strong relationships with external actors and opinion formers in Africa, and South Africa in particular, to inform strategy and improve effectiveness.
• Grant-making: building and strengthening capacities of our network through grantmaking. Administering grant making process.
• Commissioning impactful research and convening stakeholders and partners.
• External representation of the programme to stakeholders and partners. This role will not involve media or general-public facing activities.
The Programme Director must have the following experience and competencies:
• University degree or equivalent;
• At least ten years of relevant professional experience. In this case relevant experience is around a track record of bringing about change through, for example, public campaigning, advocacy, network mobilisation or inside an agency, business or government setting;
• A specific understanding of energy and climate is essential;
• A good understanding of international climate politics and policy is desirable;
• Excellence in strategic thinking, and demonstrable ability to translate strategy into implementation;
• Excellence in networking including demonstrable ability to maintain trusting professional relationships across different sectors, a diverse group of partners, including many working in different cultural contexts;
• Excellent written and verbal communications, with the ability to crystallise complex issues into effective and readable strategy documents;
• A commitment to the cause of addressing the climate crisis;
• A demonstrable sensitivity to the context of social and economic injustice in South Africa;
• A commitment to empowering local leadership and to capacity building local institutions;
• A demonstrable ability to self-manage and self-organise establishing your own workspace and schedule.
The candidate will need to demonstrate their ability to fulfil the demands of the role from their preferred location which can include a home office.
This is a initial 12 months contract with an expectation of renewal.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Monday 15th March 2021