Purpose of the role
The ideal candidate will be able to lead, motivate and develop a team of Collections agents, ensuring key performance requirements are achieved in line with the Company’s objectives. Create an environment of transparency, open communication, respect and collaboration whilst maintaining adherence to operational policies and procedures. Drive productivity in area of responsibility, ensuring operational efficiencies in all activities.
Key Performance Areas
Drive delivery of the team’s key sales performance targets in line with business plan
- Accountable to achieve the team’s daily performance against targets.
- Manage and track collections performance hourly, daily and weekly and ensure necessary actions are taken to meet business objectives (targets)
- Establish and maintain productivity standards and targets in line with departmental requirements.
- Ensure adherence to schedule and track agents’ dialler activity. Identify and implement necessary actions to bring productivity in line with targets.
- Drive team’s efficiency targets in line with the department’s KPA requirements
- Effective workforce planning ensuring adequate resources are in place to meet departmental objectives.
- Proactive management and tracking of the team’s leave requirements. Conduct regular audits to ensure all leave types are timeously and accurately captured on ESS (Employee Self Service).
- Track and manage team’s absenteeism in line with departmental targets and company processes, ensuring that consistency is applied in all actions.
- Manage attrition in area of responsibility by promoting a culture of collaboration and teamwork and enhanced staff engagement.
- When required, initiate appropriate recruitment discussions timeously. Assist in the recruitment process by conducting interviews with short-listed candidates and making informed and appropriate selections.
- Ensure weekly call monitoring and coaching targets are achieved
- Identify and escalate possible risks to the business as result of procedural or system gaps. Engage with the management team to mitigate through appropriate measures
- Conduct monthly probation reviews with new employees to ensure they have the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to achieve their targets and to effectively participate in the team. Provide constructive feedback and coaching to ensure they meet the Company’s performance standards.
- Conduct regular performance reviews with all team members. Proactively address performance concerns and provide the necessary support and guidance where required. Ensure that personal development plans are in place to address developmental needs; reviewing and tracking performance improvements against the PDP.
- Where required, implement a formal performance improvement process to bring under-performing agents in line with Company’s performance expectations. Engage with HR to ensure all necessary steps are taken and documented throughout the process.
- Attend daily operational meetings with management to address non-performance. Take necessary corrective action to ensure that business objectives are achieved.
- Good understanding of latest Labour Law principles guiding the employment relationship. Manage the disciplinary and grievance procedures in the team with the support of the HR Department.
- Identify misconduct in relation to the Company and Department’s policies & procedures and take necessary corrective action in line with the Company’s disciplinary code.
- Represent the Company at disciplinary enquiries, ensuring a clear and detailed pack is prepared and professionally presented in this forum. Argue the business case for the desired sanction.
- When required, act as a witness at the CCMA, presenting the details of the case with clarity and accuracy, maintaining a high level of professionalism at all times.
- Identify safety issues in the working environment and immediate take corrective action, reporting and monitoring the corrective action.
Rewards & recognition (motivation)
- Recognize and celebrate both team and individual accomplishments
- Plan and manage team’s daily, weekly and monthly motivational activities so that exceptional and most-improved performance is recognized and rewarded. Ensure such incentives are clearly communicated and are kept front-of-mind throughout the period with requisite buy-in from all team members.
- Initiate and participate in departmental motivational activities, ensuring that all team motivational activities are planned and implemented in line with the department motivational plan.
- Promote customer delight as a key priority and part of the culture within the team.
- Ensure customer excellence achieved through all actions. Maintain customer satisfaction through timeously dealing with all complaints for appropriate resolution.
- Drive and maintain high standards of quality and integrity in all transactions with the customer. Track agents’ PTP Paid Rates, identify trends of taking poor quality PTP’s and take corrective and / or disciplinary action where required.
- Monitor calls and conduct regular coaching sessions with all team members, providing constructive feedback to improve the quality of service delivery. Take appropriate action when quality standards are not met or upheld.
Reporting & administration
- Provide accurate daily, weekly and monthly reports in line with department requirements. Identify adverse variances and / or negative trends and proactively develop action plans to address these issues.
- Provide operational feedback to the management team through monthly & quarterly presentations; identifying trends relating to collections, call quality and risk management.
- Active participation in all department meetings, considering the contribution from all participants to collectively achieve the meeting’s objectives.
- Ensure all systems & trackers are accurate and up-to-date and that all requisite documentation is completed, signed and approved within the required timeframes
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate employee files of all team members, reflecting all performance, conduct, coaching and other activities / interventions engaged with the employee.
As and when required
Qualifications & Accreditations
- Grade 12 / Matric or equivalent
- Diploma/ Certificate or relevant industry experience
- MS Office (Word & Excel) at Intermediate level
Experience & Skills
- 2 - 5 years collections experience
- 2 - 5 years leadership/supervisory experience within a target-driven call centre environment (preferably in Collections/Outbound)
- Quality management, labour relations & performance management experience
- MS Office (Word & Excel) at Intermediate level
- Previous experience in Financial Services Environment
Attributes & Behaviours
- Aligns team performance for success – focus & guide others to accomplish work objectives.
- Conflict management – effectively deal with others in antagonistic situations; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to diffuse conflict
- High stress tolerance – maintain stable performance under pressure, managing one’s stress in a manner acceptable to others.
- Sound decision-making – identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities through appropriate root cause analysis; use effective approaches to develop appropriate solutions to the problem
- Gains commitment – use appropriate interpersonal skills & techniques to gain acceptance of plans or ideas.
- Initiating action – take prompt and proactive action to accomplish objectives beyond what is required.
- Negotiations ability / persuasiveness – use appropriate interpersonal styles & communication methods to get customer commitment to make payment
- Excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills – clear and concise messaging (across all mediums) that is appropriate and engages the team, helping them to understand and retain the message. Creates a good first impression, command attention and respect, show confidence and professionalism