Purpose of the role
As a Data Center Electrical Engineer, this role is involved in the development of electrical infrastructure - from concept designs and design approvals, to construction projects and major modification and upgrade of existing infrastructure. After project completion this role will remain part of the planning team for all electrical maintenance and procedures that needs to be followed.
Main function of the Job
- Data Centre Projects
o Collaborate with the data center team to understand, develop and approve the data center electrical designs for new data center construction and system enhancement projects.
o Designs will include MV and LV reticulation, Generator systems, UPS systems, Rectifier systems and distribution to client cabinets.
o Review and approve basis of design documents, capacity calculations and single line diagrams.
o Review and approve all commissioning and system testing strategies for each project.
o Constant enhancement of electrical systems to ensure high level of efficiency.
o Infrastructure design, implementation and testing to deliver a concurrently maintainable, cost effective solution supporting 99.999% electrical uptime.
o Conduct working methods to ensure all SLA and MSA’s are achieved.
o Ensure all parts of the designs can be monitored and connected back to the BMS system for overall system monitoring and management.
o Review, approve and provide all hand over documentation to the Data Center operations team.
- Data Center Operations
- Review and approve all electrical maintenance procedures.
- Create safe work procedures for all electrical maintenance to be done on all systems.
- Ensure applicable planned and corrective maintenance is managed in accordance to ensure customer MSA’s and SLA’s are achieved
- Ensure all maintenance and systems complies to local legislation, standards and the Machinery and Occupational Safety Act, 1983 (Act 6 of 1983).
- Provide training to the operational team on the design and operation principles of the electrical systems.
- Capacity planning on all electrical systems nationally.
- Maintain compliance in accordance to all relative policies and procedures
- Support the HR department in achieving the organization developmental plan deliverables within agreed timelines
- Meet agreed inter-departmental OLA (Operational Level Agreement)
- H&S monitoring and corrective action to meet statutory compliance, SLAs and good business practice
- Implement company and departmental policies, processes and work instructions as per the agreed quality and timeline/ RFS
- Appointed as the competent person as per the Machinery and Occupational Safety Act, 1983 (Act 6 of 1983) covering all facilities nationally.
- Critical System Management
- Conduct working methods to maintain agreed PUE levels
- Task finalization and report accurately, as per agreed format, quality and within the agreed timelines
- Provide national technical support to operational data centers
- Data Centre Ethics
o Ensure compliance is maintained incorporating industry best practices
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Registered with the Engineering Council of South Africa.
- Minimum 5 years relevant design experience.
- Minimum 5 years relevant plant operation experience.
- Extensive knowledge on Data Centre environments and critical infrastructure systems.
- Extensive data centre design knowledge.
- Registration with the Electrical engineering council of South Africa will be an advantage.
- Excellent technical design and calculation abilities.
- Knowledge of mechanical, control, fire and BMS systems will be an advantage.
- Effective communication skills, active listener – ability to understand requirements
- Proactive problem solver, perform rapid and accurate assessments
- Ability to work independently, as well as being a positive team player
- Conducts self professionally, exhibits elevated levels of tolerance and patience
- Responsible for continued learning and self-development
- Quick response to potentially critical situations
- Trouble shoot systems and components to identify root causes of failures
- Implement corrective actions promptly to mitigate the negative effects of system changes
- Advance Microsoft Office skills