This role provides technical support for the National Technical Manager, Data Centre technicians and Data Centre managers. As a Data Center mechanical specialist, the role involves the development of data center infrastructure - from concept designs and design approvals, to construction projects and major modification and upgrade of existing infrastructure.
Main function of the Job
- Data Centre Projects
- Collaborate with the data center team to understand, develop and approve the data center mechanical system designs for new data center construction and system enhancement projects.
- Designs will include DX Cooling systems, chilled water systems, direct and indirect free cooling systems.
- Review and approve basis of design documents, capacity calculations and mechanical schematics.
- Review and approve all commissioning and system testing strategies for each project.
- Constant enhancement of mechanical systems to ensure high level of efficiency.
- Infrastructure design, implementation and testing to deliver a concurrently maintainable, cost effective solution supporting 99.999% electrical uptime and 99.99% mechanical uptime.
- Conduct working methods to ensure all SLA and MSA’s are achieved.
- Ensure all parts of the designs can be monitored and connected back to the BMS system for overall system monitoring and management.
- Review, approve and provide all hand over documentation to the Data Center operations team.
- Data Center Operations
- Review and approve all mechanical maintenance procedures.
- Create safe work procedures for all mechanical maintenance to be done on all systems.
- Ensure applicable planned and corrective maintenance is managed in accordance to ensure customer MSA’s and SLA’s are achieved.
- Ensure all maintenance and systems complies to local legislation and standards.
- Provide training to the operational team on the design and operation principles of the mechanical systems.
- Maintain compliance in accordance to all relative policies and procedures
- Support the HR department in achieving the organization developmental plan deliverables within agreed timelines
- Meet agreed inter-departmental OLA (Operational Level Agreement)
- H&S monitoring and corrective action to meet statutory compliance, SLAs and good business practice
- Implement company and departmental policies, processes and work instructions as per the agreed quality and timeline/ RFS
Critical System Management
- Conduct working methods to maintain agreed PUE levels
- Task finalization and report accurately, as per agreed format, quality and within the agreed timelines
- Provide national technical support to operational data centers
- Data Centre Ethics
o Ensure compliance is maintained incorporating industry best practices
Qualifications and Experience
- National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering or 5 years industry experience with proven track record.
- Minimum 5 years relevant design experience.
- Minimum 5 years relevant plant operation experience.
- Extensive knowledge on Data Centre environments and critical infrastructure systems.
- Extensive data centre design knowledge.
- Data centre qualification will be an advantage.
- Excellent technical design and calculation abilities.
- Knowledge of electrical, control, fire and BMS systems will be an advantage.
- Advanced AutoCAD, Revit and 3D modelling skills will be an advantage
- Effective communication skills, active listener – ability to understand requirements
- Proactive problem solver, perform rapid and accurate assessments
- Ability to work independently, as well as being a positive team player
- Conducts self professionally, exhibits elevated levels of tolerance and patience
- Responsible for continued learning and self-development
- Quick response to potentially critical situations
- Trouble shoot systems and components to identify root causes of failures
- Implement corrective actions promptly to mitigate the negative effects of system changes
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills