1-grid.com is a fast-growing web-hosting company in Cape Town with an established customer base, recently acquired by recognised leaders in the Internet services industry. We have the vision and resources to be the market leader in SA in the next 5 years, supported by an entrepreneurial culture that encourages innovation, collaboration and performance.
We are searching for an experienced software development lead / architect with a proven track record in designing a best-practice development environment; and leading and mentoring a young development team.
It is expected you will have the required maturity and entrepreneurial mindset to craft a vision, provide strategic direction to executive management, and take ownership for execution of technical strategy.
This opportunity presents an exciting challenge as you are entering a “greenfield” environment and have the mandate to build software development systems and processes from the ground up, although you will also need to build migration paths for legacy code. You will report directly to the General Manager and have access to board members to play a role in development of our technical strategy.
We are looking for a “hands on” lead who is willing to get stuck in and commit code where needed, but the primary focus of the job is someone who can motivate and bring about the best in the wider team.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Architect, design and implement a software development environment and workflow that supports continuous implementation, focus on coding standards, documentation, organisation and automation. Ensure buy-in from colleagues.
- Leading, mentoring and managing a development team of 3 to 5 developers including interns on delivery of business-critical projects, leading the recruitment of new developers, and managing any outsourced projects. Take high level ownership of work of team.
- Willingness to engage across the business functions/departments to best understand how products/systems/processes work, lead the prioritisation of work and support automation of repetitive tasks. Work closely with other managers (especially technical operations), executive management to ensure we create software that links into wider business goals.
- Design and implement new applications aligned to the long-term technology strategy.
- Decommission / refactor legacy code and replace with systems designed for our purpose for future growth.
- Write technical documentation for the 1-grid application and technology stacks including co-development of business processes with business analysts and technical colleagues.
- Ensure the privacy and security of all customer/company information, and that services are given highest precedence during the development life cycle.
- Determine product opportunities, building new products by working closely with marketing and other stakeholders; ownership of technical product development roadmap.
- Leadership ability: inspire the development team to select, adopt and live best practices. Encourage a continual improvement and innovation culture.
- Ability to translate strategic objectives into daily activity; guide and motivate team to do the same.
- Ability to take initiative and deliver in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Working within an agile software development environment.
- Assist technical operations team with the selection/specification of database/systems and other infrastructure used to support the service in production.
- Bring in a culture of automated software testing ensuring adherence to development practices.
- Ability to report timeously and communicate technical/complex concepts to business stakeholders.
- Take responsibility for the work of the development team. Manage KPIs for development function.
- 100% of your medical aid (Discovery & Vitality) – no deduction unless you want to add a beneficiary
- Retirement Annuity — up to 5% co-contribution in your first year; 7.5% thereafter
- Annual Performance Bonus – up to 15% of salary
- At least 8+ years’ experience as a Full Stack Developer (Linux, PHP, Python, MySQL/MariaDB)
- At least 3+ years’ experience leading a team in an environment of continuous improvement and on-time project delivery
- Experience in designing and implementing a Micro-services/SOA, containerisation (Docker, etc.)
- Excellent OOD design knowledge
- Experience using PHP frameworks, preferably Laravel or other MVC frameworks
- Experience integrating third party RESTful APIs
- Agile development practices (TDD, continuous integration, pair programming, scrum, etc.)
- Relational databases design and performance tuning (MSSQL, MySQL or PostgreSQL)
- Implementation experience of Git-based source control environments
- Ability to exert influence upwards by developing and maintaining relationships at Director level
- Relevant qualification
- Experience working in a web hosting environment
- Linux systems administration skills and scripting experience (Python, Bash etc.)
- .NET experience (C#)
If you have not received a response within 14 days after the closing date of the advert, your application was unsuccessful.