A Cape Town and UK-based Software Development firm is looking to hire experienced core Java developers as it expands its partnership with in the UK. It is an enterprise retail software development specialist with a focus on customer experience. The company is ideally placed to cater for retailers who want to position themselves competitively, by adding a layer of customisation to their clients software which caters to both common operational systems and processes as well as client-specific needs.
Overall purpose of the job:
Modifies, develops, tests and maintains applications. Helps evaluate application systems, processes and requirements, makes changes to those systems and maintains them where necessary.
- Work as part of a project team to develop and test enterprise-ready business applications in a variety of configurations (e.g. web-based, desktop-based, service-based or scheduled processes).
- Help produce brand new solutions, solutions based upon third-party applications, or solutions that interact with existing systems.
- Is aware of, prepared to learn and follow industry best-practice when developing applications.
- Use programming languages and tools (generally) around the Java platform.
- Work with Business Analysts to specify business requirements and help translate these requirements into technical specifications (including Class, Sequence and other UML diagrams).
- Help Database Developers write efficient and effective database access code.
- Work with QA Analysts to implement testing plans and write the necessary code to automate testing in line with our Test-Driven Development methodology.
- Work with customers and project managers to deliver quality, effective software, in line with our Agile Development process.
- Help diagnose the root causes of systems issues using their problem-solving skills.
- Help research and evaluate potential technical solutions to business problems
Personal Attributes / Character traits required for this job
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good judgement and experience of prioritising and working to tight deadlines.
- Ability to learn fast and share knowledge, experience and best practices with team mates
- Willingness to take responsibility and ownership of their work.
- Empathise with customers and communicate at the appropriate level
- Appreciation of their position within the wider roles & responsibilities of the DPS community
- Ability to work under pressure
- Practical approach to problem solving
- Able to document information and share knowledge with colleagues
- Follows a structured approach to their work
- Personal drive to succeed