About the Position
Controls professional and technical processes associated with provision of Engineering services to internal / external clients with a focus on the Built-Environment Infrastructure sector.
Provides guidance and advice on the formulation of proposals, design concepts, contract and project management of basic and average complexity civil / structural engineering works with moderate levels of impact in order to ensure objectives and established outcomes are accomplished in accordance with the agreed Client terms, engineering specifications, costs and standards of quality.
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering (B Eng) and registered with ECSA as Pr. Eng.
- At least 10 years post qualification experience (of which 5 years post registration) in the Built-Environment Infrastructure sector, specialising in structural engineering and design thereof
- Valid drivers licence with own reliable transport (code B / EB)
Job Roles and Responsibilities
- Design, construction monitoring and contract administration of the following type of structures for government and private sector Clients alike:
- Building Structures not limited to but incl. educational, health, commercial, industrial / agriculture, retail, leisure & residential
- Bulk Water & Sanitation Structures not limited to but incl. water / sewage retaining structures, treatment works, deep wells / shafts and pump stations
- Motorway Structures not limited to but incl. culverts & bridges (experience working on SANRAL projects preferable)
- Various Mining Structures (preferable but not prerequisite)
- Application, specification and use of reinforced and pre-stressed concrete, steel structures, masonry, timber and other specialist materials,
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering first principles
- Proficient in understanding and use of various structural analysis and design software including PROKON (PROKON seen as minimum requirement)
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and working knowledge of Autodesks AutoCAD and one or all of the following: Revit, Civil 3D and Civil Designer software
- Experience & application of relevant engineering design codes, standards and best practices (SANS and preferably also Euro codes, American & Australian codes)
- Contractual knowledge of the JBCC, GCC, FIDIC and NEC forms of Contract
- Statutory Regulations (various incl. National Building Regulations & Construction Regulations) and keeping up with latest technical developments
- ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Standards
- Tendering experience and processes
- Ability to design and supervise all aspects of structural engineering from concept stage through to commissioning, maintenance and decommissioning as relevant.
- Ability to write technical reports
- Ability to perform complex engineering calculations using first engineering principles.
- Excellent verbal, written, and communications skills with the ability to clearly communicate technical subject matter to a wide range of audiences.
- Self-disciplined and able to work with little / no supervision.
- Strong leadership skills and people management skills with experience of managing technical teams
- Detail oriented without losing sight of overall project objectives.
- Financial and numerical skills.
- Excellent organisational skills (ability to plan & implement tasks) and time management skills.
- Business acumen
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with the skills to handle multiple jobs of varies sizes.
- Desire and ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities.
- Emotional Resilience.
- Accuracy and Detail oriented without stifling innovation.
- Experience and willingness to mentor others.
- Maintaining High Performance Standards.
- Trustworthy (handling confidential information).
- Shares and promotes the Companys five core values
- Good decision maker