A world-renowned Cape Town hotel is looking for a Sous Chef Pastry, to join their team. The opportunity is incredible!
This position is responsible for the daily preparation of all baked goods and pastries, for a la carte and event production, and is responsible for deciding, in conjunction with the Head Chef, the a la carte dessert menus for both lunch and dinner service. Must be creative with their dessert creations and continually research and test new and different dessert and baking recipes to ensure that members have an exceptional dining experience.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Running the full pastry section and ensuring that all desserts and pastries are balanced to the menu for the day.
• Ensuring that the pantry is stocked with fresh items daily.
• Complete daily food orders based upon scheduled events and projected levels of business.
• Participate in actual food preparation, produce food consistently high quality, taste and presentation and expedite
during peak meal periods as needed.
• Ensures that all kitchen employees consistently adhere to uniform, grooming and appearance standards.
• Establish and require strict adherence to health, sanitation and food handling guidelines.
• Conduct regular inspections of the entire kitchen/dishwashing areas and coolers and promptly act to correct
deficiencies found during inspection.
• In conjunction with the Head Chef, develop menus & create and ensure adherence to recipes and product
• Train kitchen staff on all new menus.
• Assist with monthly stock takes of kitchen operational equipment and the achievement of budgeted targets.
• Control food cost by assisting in training kitchen staff on the proper methods of food preparation and handling.
• Reduce and control the amount of breakages and wastage in your areas of responsibility.